Sunday, December 26, 2010

Working My Way back.. Almost There..

As a young boy there was a lady who opened my mind and consequently my world to the possibilities of what a bigger world had to offer. She was my aunt and we called her “baby sister”. She took me to museums, and libraries. She introduced me to arenas I would not normally see on my own, like rodeos and operas, or just taking a train ride from one end of the city to the other and back. She helped me to think of the wide possibilities that the world had available. It was only later in life after she had passed away that I realized what she had done for me and it was too late to say thank you in tangible real way. I made a point to start writing letters to those that contributed to me being a better person or provided a dwelling place of comfort when I did not know where to go or how to get there. I am working my way back but it requires part of me to remember and acknowledge that as bad as I thought things may have been, there was always a hand reached out in my direction just waiting for me to take hold of it. I still have a few letters to write. To be honest there are a few folks that I need to send a second or third letter. Who gets your first letter? Try this…

Dear God,

Thank you for my life. I have spent more time worrying about what I cannot do or what I may not have than what I have and what I can do. You gave me an avenue to see more of your world by putting wonderful people in my life all along the way. I did not always notice your hand in the small of my back gently nudging me off the block and into a bigger world. Your Kleenex was so soft I did not feel it as you wiped away the tears to allow me to see the new door you always opened for me when I insisted on dwelling on the closed one. Thank you for the rainy days of separation that those early college years brought. A relationship grew strong with a flower and the love of my life, Janet. Thank you God for the bruised ego and tired muscles that strengthened my heart and soul while I attempted to support and raise the gift of family for all those years in a job that was not a career. I could not see you adding weight to the barbell. However, I am a stronger servant for having lifted and completed all the repetitive tasks you prescribed for me in my walk with you. I see where you have taken my family from there to here. It may be a life that is not all that I have hoped for and I know as of yet all my dreams have not come true, but at the thought of someday seeing your face, I know it will all have been worth it. Thank you for my life and all the peaks and valleys. Because you decided to stay on that cross, my life and those dreams can be complete. I want to take this time to say thank you Jesus for my life.

Glad The Tomb Is Empty

No comments: