Thursday, March 22, 2018

Make Me Like The Moon


File:Moon rotating full 220px.gif

 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matt 5:14-16

I have always had a fascination with the moon (and stars).  The huge bright ball in the midnight sky and the brilliant light that illuminates the earth will always keep me spell bound.  To be honest I never took the time to consider the source of the "moonlight".  Without pondering its true source, I only enjoyed the view and serenity that it brought.  The astrological explanation states that the sun shines on the moon as it rotates around the earth.  The moon has no atmosphere or gravity so the light cannot be contained.  Like a mirror the moon reflects the light to earth.  All by itself the moon is merely a cold rock caught in the earth’s gravitation orbit that could never be seen with the naked eye. The moon orbits the earth as the earth orbits the sun.  That little dusty rock has an opportunity to shine for everybody everywhere in all phases during its 29-and-a-half-day journey around earth.  You have an opportunity to reflect God’s blessing wherever you go. 

Make yourself like the moon.

I may "shine brightly but not on my own. I want to serve humbly and am willing to be used. Just a piece of dust and stone reflecting the sunlight, God's light.  Let me reflect the light of who you are and your light alone. If I shine let them see You... Nothing of myself.  Make me like the moon, only reflecting you." 

Make yourself like the moon.

When I see the moon shining so bright and vivid, my mind is riveted on the source of light that allows me to shine.  It allows me to tell of the new grace and new mercy that is available to all... daily. 


No comments: