Thursday, March 26, 2020

March 27, 1975

Janet Robertson, March 27, 1975 your love came crashing in on my heart. Over these years your love for me wins whatever battle my mind wants to start with my heart. I get more “thoughtful” during this month because of the courtship struggles you endured with me. I know I “sweated” you hard in a time when this approach was not considered “cool”. With other girls the “conventional” approach left me bewildered and woefully unequipped to get a second audience. There was a “bit” in one of Richard Pryor’s albums were the neighborhood drunk says, “Boy I’m going to help you because I believe you got potential”. I would like to think you saw 2020 Lance back in 1975. According to the 1975 “handbook” I got it all wrong. I stared too much and actually winked at you (a few times). I “begged” for your phone number until I almost lost my mind. First call I bared my 16-year-old soul. I fumbled with your fingers trying to hold your hand the first time. First date, no car so we had to catch the bus in Chicago in March! First date plans collapsed, so you helped me fold laundry while we watched the Wizard of Oz. Took you home on the "bus". I was absolutely sure you weren't snuggling but hiding from the Chicago "hawk". I thanked God for the "gentle breeze" that moved you closer me. We have been filling our bus with love and memories ever since. Alone I know I could not have held on to you this long by myself. "I can't, but God can." I love you sweetheart. Our love wins because He loved us first. 1 John 4:19 Glad the tomb is empty.

No comments: