Tuesday, March 24, 2020

She Braided My Hair


March is our sweetheart Month... She braided my hair. Starting in March 1975 for about six months straight Janet would braid my hair every week or so. I would take it down, wash it, “blow it out” and she would braid it back up. At first I didn’t think she could braid my short hair. Within a few months my hair began to grow and I was beginning to grow an “Afro”.

 As much as I appreciated that “fro”, looking back, the thing I enjoyed most was the time we spent talking while she wrestled with my scalp. We spent time sitting in the park or on her front porch just talking. It could have been about anything or nothing at all but we were together. 

Today I appreciate that we don’t need “our own space” or need a “get away” from each other. We are comfortable talking about “anything” or nothing at all. She braided my hair and we got to know each other that summer. She grew a fro, but we really grew a life together in the process because we talked, while she braided. This quarantine ain’t so bad. I don’t have any hair to braid but we still talking. I love you sweetheart. Glad The Tomb Is Empty 

No comments: