Sunday, December 6, 2009

Thankful?

What are you thankful for…? I don’t have to think long or look far...
It is Thanksgiving and this is an easy question to ask. For me it is an easier question to answer.

It should be for you as well….

I am thankful because I believe I am blessed and highly favored. Why else would a funny looking man like me have such a beautiful wife of 28 years who is still willing to put in the effort to stay beautiful, inside and out… I am thankful.

My two daughters are healthy, safe and not part of any “high risk” group that you hear so much about these days for young folks. I am thankful.

I survived the last few years of company downsizing, ever shifting responsibilities to cover the downsizing, and a bad economy that removed the word “retire” from my vocabulary. I am thankful.

I washed cloths last week and finished every load (this hadn’t happened in while). I discovered for the first in my life that all my underwear and socks would not fit in my dresser drawers. I smiled at this discovery. There was a time when I didn’t have enough underwear or socks to fit in a lunch bag. Seems strange to be thankful for underwear and socks. But I am. Wow… I am thankful.

About this time four years ago I was allowed to go home after a long horrendous hospital stay. Some parts of my stay are just making their way to the front of my consciousness (great narcotics). My family and I “conquered” cancer and radiation (I couldn’t do it alone) difficulties that left me with a physical reminder. It is a reminder that I have asked Him to remove on many occasions. Just as He let me know in that dark cold hospital room that “He was still there”, He lets me know that His grace is sufficient for me, for His power is made perfect in my weakness." In your weak moments you only have to remember that His grace is sufficient and that He is still here for you. He has left us a comforter.

I am thankful for an amazingly beautiful wife and family, a full sock drawer, and knowing that no matter how heavy the burden s of my affliction are, His grace and mercy will lighten my load.
What are you thankful for…?

You don’t have to think too long or look farther than your dresser drawers…

No comments: