Saturday, April 15, 2017

Divinity and Humanity Became One


Consider this:  The holy trinity having a sit down and deciding on how to bridge the gap between them and man.  This was a gap that had existed for 400 man years (just a few days for them).  There was only one way to truly bridge the gap.  A sacrifice had to be made.  Would the first fruit from the fall harvest do?  Would the fatted calf do?  How about the first 10th of their wages?  They spoke in unison; “all of these are mine already.”  Neither will do.  Jesus, this one is on you.  You will have to be clothed in human flesh and endure all that is common to it.  You will also be mocked and scorn even though you are without sin.  All the while we need you to teach folks with severe spiritual learning disabilities.  On top of that you will have to endure the most brutal death know to them.  After that, you can handle up on Lucifer and death, do your thing and come back home.  Then the Holy Spirit can take over.

On Thursday (before Good Friday) Divinity and humanity became one.

“Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”  An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. Luke 22:42-44

Jesus knew the brutal undeserved treatment that was forthcoming was part of the divine plan.  I am no learned theologian but it appears his humanity asked if it was possible to forgo this part of the plan.  Angels even came to strengthen him, yet he still sweat blood.  He knew full well that he would receive 39 lashes, one less than it would take to kill him.  The deal was he was to die on the cross, not in the court yard with blood thirsty Roman guards.  This he knew yet he endured. 

Lord God My Father every day I pray for strength to endure in a world that is not my home because you did not let the cup pass. You did this for my sake, not your own. There are no words or thoughts I can use to express my gratitude for the enormous price you paid for me.  My responsibility as a believer is to love my neighbor as you loved me.  I am to forgive as you have forgiven.  I am to serve just as you came to serve. I am to make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything you have commanded me. And surely you will be with me always, to the very end of the age. Amen

No comments: